Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mapping the Census: Race percentages for the Continental United States

What is it that race maps will show us? How can this information be used for good? Perhaps a store owner could use it to see where the best places to sell Asian goods are. Other reasons could be immigration; perhaps it is beneficial to see where most of the Asian immigrants end up settling. Racial profiling is a hot topic in politics today. When looking at a map such as this, it is possible to say that it could be used negatively, but the good far outweighs the bad.

It is almost politically incorrect to distinguish between African American and White these days. President Obama taking the white house was a huge deal. Although the divide between races has grown incredibly smaller, how do we close the gap for good? These maps show where African-Americans are located in respect to other races. I added the purple in this map just to give it an extra little pop for the viewer.


What is "some other race?" I assume that it is all those people that check the box located at the bottom of the form that means that either they are of a heritage that is not listed, or they simply do not want to specify, so they mark that box. What does a map like this mean? we can definately see that most "other" races are located in the american southwest. Are there unkown races there? while most Texans consider their state another country, would they be so bold as to say they are a different race? This map's color regime is my favorite of them, as it really accents each different class. 


I feel that the field of GIS is just a toddler realizing his own capabilities. I believe that with the amount of technology that is available now, GIS could be used to restructure the entire way that we live as humans. The possibilities that it is giving now, such as helping land users in Northern California come together in compromises, urban planning, sub urban planning, forestry, geology, consumerism and retail, and an infinite other amount of capabilities are absolutely invaluable. I also used to be a wildland forest firefighter, so I can see the capabilities that it has in that area. That gets me exited to take my career path into GIS.  I consider the GIS that I learned to be incredibly valuable and I hope to learn as much as I can in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment